ShowBiz & Sports Lifestyle

Hot

Thomas Markle says 'hope has gone' after learning Meghan is returning to UK from TV

Thomas Markle says 'hope has gone' after learning Meghan is returning to UK from TV

Dorothy Reddin Sun, August 23, 2026 at 7:26 AM UTC

0

| Source: GB NEWS

Meghan Markle's father, Thomas, 82, has spoken of his distress after discovering through a TV broadcast that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex are relocating to Britain with their two children, neither of whom he has ever met.

The retired lighting director for film and television, currently recuperating in an American rehabilitation facility following a below-the-knee amputation, said: "I saw on CNN that they were returning to England. I found out about it at the same time as the rest of the world."

He has had no contact with seven-year-old Archie or Lilibet, five, and has also never met Prince Harry.

Mr Markle expressed deep pain at what he perceives as his daughter's indifference, stating: "I'm hurt and upset that she doesn't give a damn about me, even though I'm in hospital."

He reflected on their once-close bond, adding: "Meghan used to love me, she was always a daddy's girl, and now it's like I don't exist."

With the family now departing the United States, he voiced concern for the future, saying: "One day those kids will ask about their 'other' grandfather - the one who isn't King - the one that Meghan and Harry are apparently ashamed of."

He continued to tell The Mail on Sunday: "I hope they know how much I wanted to meet them."

Mr Markle's left leg was amputated below the knee in December after he developed a life-threatening blood clot while residing in the Philippines.

Thomas Markle | Source: ITV

He subsequently underwent the surgical procedure before making his way back to the United States earlier this year. The 82-year-old is now undergoing rehabilitation at a facility in America as he continues his recovery.

He revealed that the prospect of his daughter and her family visiting him had sustained him during this difficult period, telling the outlet: "While they were in the US, I always hoped they might come and see me. Now they are leaving, that hope has gone."

The rift between father and daughter dates back to the period before Meghan's 2018 wedding to Prince Harry, when Mr Markle was found to have staged photographs with paparazzi.

Advertisement

Despite the estrangement, Mr Markle maintained: "I will never stop loving my daughter, but I will never understand why she turned her back on me."

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle | Source: GETTY

His eldest daughter Samantha, Meghan's half-sister, offered an update on his condition, saying: "I'm really proud of dad's progress. Every day is a blessing."

Despite Mr Markle's claims that Meghan has not expressed concern for him since being in hospital, the duchess's spokesman set the record straight last December.

He told GB News: "Given that a Daily Mail reporter has remained at her father's bedside throughout, broadcasting each interaction and breaching clear ethical boundaries, it has been exceedingly difficult for the Duchess to contact her father privately, despite her efforts over the past several days.

"With the support of reliable and trusted contacts, her correspondence is now safely in his hands."

LATEST ROYAL NEWS:

Prince Harry and Meghan take aim at Meta over ‘unsafe design’

Meghan could play 'ultimate temptress' in The Gentlemen as Netflix talks underway

Lilibet and Archie coming off school waiting lists accelerated Sussexes'

The Daily Mail's parent company, DMG, responded in a statement that Mr Markle had contacted its journalist, Caroline Graham, when he was taken ill in the Philippines and asked her to travel from LA to be with him.

DMG said: "As well as being a journalist, Caroline has been friends with Mr Markle since 2018. She has been with Mr Markle in hospital every day, providing him with care and support.

"As soon as Mr Markle gave consent for his contact details, the name of his hospital and his room number to be provided to his daughter's spokesman, Caroline shared them.

"It is entirely untrue that each interaction has been broadcast, and the suggestion that Caroline has breached ethical boundaries is demonstrably false and vehemently denied."

Our Standards: The GB News Editorial Charter

Original Article on Source

Source: “AOL Entertainment”

We do not use cookies and do not collect personal data. Just news.